As vaccine distributions ramp up around the country, the commercial real estate industry is focused on re-occupancy. We wanted to share two prominent trends we are seeing as our industry prepares for an influx of tenants later this year.
- Overview: Developed in response to the current pandemic, Fitwel’s Viral Response Module (VRM) and WELL’s Health-Safety Rating (HSR) certifications are being pursued in some capacity by most large real estate organizations. Both certifications are focused on science-based viral transmission prevention strategies and were designed for rapid adoption across portfolios.
- Implementation timeline: ~2-4 months.
- Organizations engaged: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Bentall Green Oak, Boston Properties, Brookfield, Columbia Property Trust, Empire State Realty Trust, Hudson Pacific Properties, Kilroy Realty Corporation, QuadReal, Piedmont Office Realty Trust, Simon Property Group, Sterling Bay, Tishman Speyer, Tower Companies, Vornado Realty Trust, . . . .
- Overview: The pandemic has ushered in a new era of transparency. Many organizations are seeking to continuously monitor and report IAQ performance to build confidence during the re-occupancy phase and support leasing efforts. The IAQ performance data can also be integrated with a building automation system (BAS) and used to dial-in HVAC operations, including ventilation systems.
- Timeline: 1-2 months for sensor installation.
While many other technologies/trends to support re-occupancy have emerged over the last year (e.g., needlepoint bipolar ionization, elevator cab UV sanitation, etc.), the industry appears to be gravitating towards the nuts and bolts - proven, science-based strategies.
If you would like to learn more about these solutions or have any questions, let’s talk.